Shepherd’s Pie was not something I ate a lot of growing up. I recall my mother making it maybe once or twice but I’ve acquired a new found taste for it. I’ve decided to step it up a notch from the usual ground beef, corn and potato recipe and added carrots, black beans and red wine! Enjoy!
thecraftinista’s Shepherd’s Pie
1. Add chopped potatoes to a pot of salted water and boil until potatoes are tender. Mash and add milk and butter to taste. I also added salt, pepper and garlic seasoning to step it up a notch.
2. Add carrots to a pot of salted water and boil until carrots are tender. Mash and add butter, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Heat olive oil in pan and add chopped onions under translucent. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain most of the fat and add the black beans. Stir in flour and cook for a minute or so until all of the flour is well combined. Stir in beef stock and red wine* and bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let cook until thick – should be about five minutes or so.
*You don’t have to add red wine. I just find the sweetness of the red wine works well with the sweetness of the carrots. Plus, wine just makes food fancy 😉
5. Spread ground beef & black bean mixture in the bottom of a pan. Layer the corn, followed by the carrots and then the mashed potatoes. Sprinkle top of pie with cracked black pepper and paprika.
6. Bake in a preheated 375° oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve and & eat!
I’m *almost* done with the craft room! Just have a few more things to organise and put away and then I have to bring out my boxes to be recycled and I shall be done! And after that, I’m back to my crafting!